Saturday, November 7, 2015

November Nuggets of Wisdom #7

Just because you’re older than somebody doesn’t mean that you are smarter than them.  If you think that you are, some younger person will come along and serve you a massive humble sandwich. Trust me, those are not tasty sandwiches.

“You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.”
- Madeleine L'Engle

To write well, you need to embrace your inner child. That’s where your creativity comes from. When I was a kid, I made up fantastic stories for my toys to act out.  Now that I’m an adult, I realize that I never stopped doing that. I just became a writer and now instead of toys I play with imaginary characters and words.

Kids want to be older.  Adults want to be younger.  Neither one finds happiness in idly wishing for such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment