Saturday, April 11, 2015

Mythic Scribes Re-Blog: Understanding How Readers Read

Hi there! Sorry I missed yesterday's post. I was busy doing really important stuff.

~Stares at the ground~

~Bites lip~

OKAY, IT'S ALL A LIE!

I kind of spent half the day binge-watching Marvel's Daredevil on Netflix with my husband.

I used to worry that maybe my stories were too violent. They aren't. I mean, one character gets eviscerated (that means his intestines get ripped out), but at least I've never had a dude get decapitated by another dude repeatedly slamming his head and neck in a car door.  Not to mention that I got kind of light on the description of that scene, whereas you actually get to watch the spray of blood in Daredevil. It was a straight-up gore-fest, let me tell you. They weren't joking around with the TV-MA rating on this one. Yikes. So it should go without saying that if you're under 18, you darn well better have your parents' permission to watch Daredevil. It's an intriguing story and all, but...oh man. I had to avert my eyes once or twice, and I usually don't shirk violence in movies. 

What's that? Of course I'll be binge-watching more today! Why wouldn't I?

Anyhow...

I got on one of my favorite websites, Mythic Scribes, and stumbled across this article. I thought it was really interesting, and I wanted to share it with you. So, without further ado...


When I started writing – three, maybe four, years ago – I just wrote. I didn’t really think much about it as I sat there with my laptop, tapping down my stories and making things up.

I was happy with how they turned out. I had a good time, and I made up some really cool characters – most of which are still around in one form or another.

Then, eventually, I joined a writing forum and began to share my work there. I discovered there were a whole load of do’s and don’ts when it comes to writing […]

It turned out there are rules for how to write that I didn’t even know existed. I barely understood what deep point of view was, and it took a lot of explaining before I finally figured out the difference between passive and active voice (and I’m still hard pressed to explain it to someone else).

These “rules” of writing seem to pop up a lot wherever aspiring writers show off their work or ask for advice. I guess that’s fine – or at least understandable. The way I see it, the rules of writing are there to help writers produce better stories. […]

There is a lot of talk about how writers ought to write, but very little about how readers read. [...]

Check out the rest of the article on Mythic Scribes: http://mythicscribes.com/miscellaneous/understanding-how-readers-read/


Did you enjoy the article? Share it - but be sure to share the actual Mythic Scribes article, not my blog post. I mean, you can share my blog post, but credit where credit is due and all of that. Don't share my blog post without sharing the Mythic Scribes post. Thanks! You're the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment